The PS Vita Slim was released back in 2014 as a more compact and affordable version of the original PS Vita. Despite being nearly a decade old, the handheld console still has a loyal following of gamers who appreciate its impressive specs, vast library of games, and sleek design. In this review, we’ll take a closer look at the PS Vita Slim’s features, pros and cons, pricing, and specifications to help you decide if it’s still worth buying in 2023.
PS Vita Slim Features:
The PS Vita Slim features a 5-inch OLED display, dual analog sticks, front and rear-facing cameras, Wi-Fi connectivity, and a touchpad on the back. It also has 1GB of internal memory, which can be expanded with a memory card. The handheld console supports a vast library of games, including popular titles like Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.
- Compact and sleek design
- Impressive specs for a handheld console
- Vast library of games
- Dual analog sticks for improved gameplay
- Front and rear-facing cameras
- Touchpad on the back adds a unique gaming experience
- Compatible with PlayStation Plus for free monthly games
- Expensive memory cards needed for additional storage
- Limited selection of new game releases
- No longer supported by Sony
The PS Vita has a vast library of games, including a mix of original titles, ports of popular console games, and indie games. Here are some of the most popular games available on the PS Vita:
- Persona 4 Golden
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Gravity Rush
- Killzone: Mercenary
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition
- Rayman Legends
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Child of Light
In addition to these games, there are many other titles available on the PlayStation Store for the PS Vita, including classic PlayStation games from the PS One and PSP. You can also subscribe to PlayStation Plus to receive free monthly games for the PS Vita, as well as other PlayStation consoles.
Tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your PS Vita
- Customize the Home Screen: You can customize the PS Vita’s home screen with different themes and wallpapers. You can also rearrange the icons and folders to suit your preferences.
- Use the PS Vita as a Controller: The PS Vita can be used as a controller for select PS3 and PS4 games. This can be useful if you have friends over and need an extra controller or want to try a different way of playing.
- Take Advantage of Cross-Buy and Cross-Play: Some games are available for both PS Vita and PS3/PS4 and may support cross-buy or cross-play. Cross-buy allows you to buy a game once and play it on multiple devices, while cross-play lets you play with other players on different platforms.
- Use the Rear Touchpad: The PS Vita’s rear touchpad can be used as a controller input for some games. You can use it to swipe, tap, or drag in games that support this feature.
- Take Screenshots: You can take screenshots of your games by pressing the PS button and the Start button at the same time. The screenshots will be saved to your PS Vita’s photo gallery.
- Use PS Vita’s Motion Control: Some games support motion control, where you can use the PS Vita’s internal gyroscopes to control the game. This feature is particularly useful in racing games and shooters.
Price in Different Regions:
The PS Vita Slim is still available for purchase in some regions, although prices may vary. In the United States, the console can be found for around $200. In Europe, prices range from €180 to €250, depending on the retailer. In Japan, the console can be purchased for around ¥20,000.
- 5-inch OLED display
- Dual analog sticks
- Front and rear-facing cameras
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Touchpad on the back
- 1GB internal memory, expandable with memory card
- Dimensions: 183.6 x 85.1 x 15 mm
- Weight: 219g
where can I buy it?
The availability of the PS Vita Slim may vary depending on your location and region. Here are some places where you may be able to purchase the console:
- Online retailers such as Amazon, Best Buy, and GameStop
- Local electronics or gaming stores
- Second-hand marketplaces like eBay or Craigslist
It’s always a good idea to compare prices and check the reputation of the seller before making a purchase. Additionally, be aware that the PS Vita Slim may be discontinued in some regions, so availability may be limited.
PS Vita Slim Conclusion:
Overall, the PS Vita Slim is still a great option for gamers who appreciate handheld consoles. Its impressive specs, vast library of games, and sleek design make it a compelling choice, despite some drawbacks like the need for expensive memory cards and limited new game releases. However, as Sony no longer supports the console, it’s important to consider if it’s worth investing in a device that may become obsolete in the near future. If you’re a fan of portable gaming and can find the PS Vita Slim at a reasonable price, it’s definitely still worth considering.